Are you going on a first date with a guy and feeling nervous about what to do or how to act?
Don’t worry; it’s completely normal!
Going on a first date with someone can be both exciting and nerve-wracking.
You want to make sure you make a great impression while also having fun. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your first date with a guy.
What To Do On A First Date with a Guy
It’s important to remember that a first date is about getting to know each other. So, what should you do on a first date with a guy? Here are some ideas:
- Go for a walk in the park – this is a great way to get to know each other and enjoy the outdoors at the same time.
- Try a new restaurant – if you both enjoy food, trying a new restaurant can be a fun and exciting experience.
- Attend a concert or live event – if you both share a love for music, attending a concert or live event can be a great way to bond.
- Visit a museum or art gallery – this is a great option for those who love art and culture.
- Take a cooking class together – if you’re both into cooking, taking a cooking class can be a fun and interactive way to get to know each other.
- Go on a hiking or outdoor adventure – this is a great way to explore the outdoors and get to know each other in a more active setting.
- Take a dance class – dancing can be a fun and romantic way to get to know each other.
- Visit a theme park or carnival – if you’re both into thrill rides and carnival games, this can be a fun and exciting option.
- Go to a sports game – if you both enjoy sports, attending a game can be a great way to bond over your shared interests.
- Have a picnic – pack a basket of your favorite foods and head to a scenic location for a romantic picnic.
- Take a scenic drive – hop in the car and explore the local area while enjoying each other’s company.
- Attend a wine tasting – if you’re both wine enthusiasts, attending a wine tasting can be a fun and educational experience. Remember not to get too drunk, but more on that later on.
- Volunteer together – find a local organization that you both care about and spend the day volunteering together.
- Play a board game – game nights are a great idea for getting to know each other. Just make sure you’re not picking a really difficult game. Ultimately, you’d still want to talk to him. Also, the element of competition adds some interesting opportunities for some flirting. Flirty competition is great, and can seriously ignite a spark on your first date with him.
- Take him for a bike ride – a truly great date that makes awkward silences, well, less awkward. Also you’ll have plenty of time to talk and have an ice cream on the way.
- Go get some hot beverages – if the weather isn’t great, there is nothing wrong with getting some caffeine together to get the blood pumping.
- Take a pottery class – if you know he likes doing stuff with his hands, and he’s creative, this might just be the perfect date.
- Go rock climbing – A truly active date, that will leave your muscles screaming for days to come.
- Visit a nice art museum – we’ll be honest, it’s not the best one for conversation, but a nice art museum definitely allows for some good conversation afterwards, and is a great creative idea for a date. Alternatively, you can do something a bit more interactive by visiting an art class together.
- Go horseback riding – probably my least favorite (i’m scared of horses,) but hey! If you’re into animals, horseback riding is a great way to get to know each other. Probably, they’ve never ever done it before, making it even more fun!
- Listen to your favorite tunes together – if you’ve had a look at their online profile, you might have found that he’s into the same band as you are. Maybe there’s a cover band, or a concert with the same genre. It’s going to be a blast if you pick a date that aligns your music taste.
- Visit some botanical gardens – nature makes people happy, and you’ll have plenty of time for meaningful conversations.
- Go to an open mic night – open mic nights are funny, and you’ll be sure to have a blast together.
If you want to know what to do on a first date with a girl, read: What To Do On a First Date With a Girl? – 13 Great Tips
What Not To Do On A First Date With A Guy
While you can do many things on a first date with a guy, you should also avoid some things. Here are a few things you should not do on a first date:
- Don’t talk about your exes – this can be a major turn-off and make the other person uncomfortable.
- Don’t drink too much alcohol – while having a drink or two is okay, getting drunk on a first date is not a good idea. Why? We assume you’re responsible enough to consider the consequences of your action.
- Don’t be on your phone the whole time – giving the other person your undivided attention and showing that you’re interested in getting to know them is important. Tinder can be great in your free time but should be avoided during dates.
- Don’t be negative – try to stay positive and avoid complaining or being negative about things.
- Don’t be aggressive – respecting each other’s boundaries is important, and not coming on too strong.
- Don’t stress too much – it’s not a job interview! Stay relaxed and focus on positive body language to woo your date.
- Practice active listening – try to pay attention to the conversations, especially when he is talking. This will help you know more about him and ask questions to help you understand and know your date better.
- Watch your non-verbal communication – make sure to keep a good body posture and avoid crossing your arms. Also, good hand gesturing and positive facial expressions can help to woo her.
1. Avoid Awkard Silences
There are only a few questions that are regarded a ‘bad idea’ on a first date. These include:
‘When do you want to have kids?’
‘How much money do you make?’
And a few others…
Your nerves might limit you from asking questions and striking up a conversation. But in reality, there are just so many things to ask.
Instead of giving you 500 topics, we’ll give you some advice that will prove to be way more valuable.
Try to listen to what he’s saying. We will give an example:
John: “I’m a financial analyst at a big bank.“
Boring right? Surely he’s passionate about it?
“Ah cool! Is that something you’ve always been interested in?“
“Yeah, actually, from a young age, I was looking at numbers, but I’m quite busy at work, and it doesn’t stay as much fun if you do it every day of the week.”
“Then you must really love your holidays. What’s your favorite place to go?” or “Did you count candies as a kid? *jokingly*
The key here is to make links between his words and provide a follow-up question on the link you found.
The possibilities are endless.
2. Make Eye Contact
Don’t underestimate the magic of eye contact when you’re out on that nerve-wracking first date!
Sure, you might feel butterflies fluttering in your stomach, but remember, a simple gaze into your date’s eyes can work wonders.
Mark Manson says, “The power of the gaze is no mystery.” He says that looking into someone’s eyes can significantly increase arousal, capture and hold their attention, make them believe in you, and make you look smart and sincere.
Of course, we’re not talking about a creepy death stare – just those genuine moments of locking eyes, showing you are interested and present in the moment.
Eye contact is like a secret language, saying, “Hey, I’m excited to get to know you better!” So, take a deep breath, stay calm, and let your eyes do some of the talking!
3. Stay calm
Dating coach, Connell Barrett on askmen.com says that being nervous on a first date results from focusing on things outside that are beyond your control, such as whether or not you’ll get rejected or how good your conversation and flirting skills will be during the date.
What you should focus on is having a great date. Now, don’t be afraid to use eye contact as a conversation starter!
When you catch your date’s eye, it’s an invitation to open up the dialogue.
A friendly smile paired with a brief moment of eye contact can make them feel at ease and show that you’re approachable.
And when the conversation kicks off, keep those eye connections going. It’s a fantastic way to build a connection and show you’re genuinely interested in what they have to say.
4. Get to Know His Life Story
Sounds cringe, right?
It doesn’t have to be. It’s all about understanding your date and determining whether he could be your potential life partner.
Take a deep breath and ask him about his personal favorite holiday as a kid. You’ll figure out his values in terms of traveling, how he would like to raise his future kids, and whether he’d be a good fit for you as a romantic partner.
In a Nutshell
On your first date with a guy, focus on getting to know each other through shared experiences like a park walk, trying a new restaurant, or attending a concert.
Avoid discussing past relationships or excessive drinking. Stay present, maintain eye contact, and have fun.
Just let the magic of the moment guide you toward a promising future together. Happy dating!
What should I wear on a first date with a guy?
You should wear something that makes you feel confident and comfortable. It’s important to dress appropriately for the occasion – if you’re going to a fancy restaurant, dress up a bit. If you’re going on a casual date, wear something more casual. It’s all depends on the dress code, but don’t overcomplicate it!
Who should pay on a first date with a guy?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Traditionally, the man pays for the first date, but it’s also becoming more common for couples to split the bill or take turns paying for dates. You can discuss this with your date beforehand or just see how things play out.
How do I know if he likes me on a first date?
It can be hard to tell if someone likes you on a first date, but there are some signs to look out for
Should I plan the date or let the guy plan it?
It’s always a good idea to communicate with your date about your preferences and interests. If you have a specific idea in mind, feel free to suggest it to your date. However, if your date insists on planning the date, let them take the lead and enjoy the experience.
How can I make a good impression on a first date?
Be yourself, be present and engage in conversation, and show interest in your date by actively listening and asking questions. Be respectful and courteous, and make an effort to look and feel your best.
What topics should I avoid discussing on a first date?
It’s best to steer clear of controversial topics like politics or religion, as well as any ex-partners or negative past experiences. Focus on getting to know each other and keeping the conversation light and enjoyable.
Who should pay for the first date?
There’s no right or wrong answer to this question. Some people believe that the person who initiated the date should pay, while others prefer to split the bill. If you’re unsure, you can always offer to pay your share or ask your date what they prefer.
How do I know if there’s a connection on a first date?
A connection can manifest in different ways, but some signs include having good conversation flow, feeling comfortable and at ease with each other, and sharing similar interests or values.
Should I kiss on a first date?
This is a personal decision and ultimately up to you and your date. If the moment feels right and both parties are comfortable, a kiss can be a great way to end the date. However, if you’re unsure, it’s always best to wait and see how the relationship develops.
What if the first date doesn’t go well?
It’s important to remember that not every date will be a perfect match. If you don’t feel a connection, it’s okay to politely decline a second date. However, if you’re still interested in getting to know the person, you can always suggest another activity or date idea to see if there’s potential for a future connection.
Should I follow up with a text or call after the first date?
If you had a great time on the date and want to see the person again, it’s perfectly fine to follow up with a text or call to express your interest. Keep it simple and light, and let them know you had a good time and would like to see them again.
How long should I wait before scheduling a second date?
There’s no set rule for how long to wait before scheduling a second date. If you feel a connection and both parties are interested in seeing each other again, you can discuss and plan the second date whenever it feels comfortable.